Saturday, August 16, 2008

Numbers, numbers, and more numbers

Looks like everyone was right when they said that half of the students on our rosters show up. I didn't quite believe them, but after these last few days, I have to. We had 180 in May. By August the number was down to 154. Now??? At last count we had approximately 85 6th graders. Kinda crazy. But good in a way, because now at least I don't have to worry about huge class sizes. A little scary too, because what if they do away with my position because we don't have the numbers to support it? I will make myself crazy with worry over that one, so I'll have to cross that bridge when I come to it!

The first week went rather well. I'm feeling energetic and encouraged. I hope that it continues. I'm not having any real discipline problems yet, although I have scoped out a couple of classes that could become problematic. Gotta nip that in the bud.

The hardest part was getting a sub yesterday. Yes, I know it's the first week of school. However, we closed on our house yesterday. At 11. So I couldn't even really take a half day. It was emotional on our both our part and the seller's. Hopefully we'll all be happy once it it over. Wait, it is over. And I'm happy. Hopefully she is too! LOL! Now we have a bunch of work to do...washing walls, painting, etc., before we can move in. But it will all be worth it to have a house we own. This will hopefully be the house the kids think about when they think about growing up in CO.

2 comments:

Bethany said...

I'm glad things are going well so far. Can't wait to see pictures of your new house! Hint hint. You still have plenty of years before your kids are done "growing up" so this house will probably really be their home. We moved to a new house my senior year of high school and I lived there for less than a year before starting college, and it still doesn't really feel like my house when I visit my mom.

Jules said...

Congrats on closing! And be glad for the small class sizes...I have 3 English 11 classes of 30. Blech.