Monday, November 10, 2008

Be True to Your School !?!

I have to admit, this is a hard one for me.

I grew up watching, rooting for, and breathing Air Force Academy sports. My father followed them the best he could before the age of internet and satellite television and it rubbed off. So when I decided to go to BYU for college, well, I guess you could say it was a conflict of interest. I rooted for BYU whole heartedly while I was there. I even made a friendly four year wager (never mind that it took me five to graduate) with my father about who would win the most football games in that time period...BYU or AFA? I'm glad to say that BYU won more over that time span (thank you Ty Detmer), but I don't remember what the prize of the wager was...possibly a steak dinner.

Since we've lived in the heart of the AFA for five years now, and we go to as many sporting events as we can, I root for AFA. Except, of course, when they are playing BYU. But as the years have gone by, this is has become increasingly difficult. I mean really, if AFA beats BYU this next weekend, and there are some other key losses in the conference, AFA has a shot at winning or tying for the conference title. And going to a bowl game. Now, I have to admit that I have no idea if BYU has similar chances or not, but it is likely they do as they have spent the season ranked. In fact they may be able to lose this weekend and still go on to post season play. I'm not sure, but being ranked definitely helps them in that endeavour.

So, with that background knowledge, I have to say that I am a sucker for the underdog. BYU has been ranked all season, AFA wasn't even supposed to show up this season. And now they have a chance; they are getting votes in the coaches poll. And to go any further they have to beat BYU. What's a girl to do????

I guess there's only one thing left to say: Go Falcons, Beat the Cougars!!!!

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Of coourse, it doesn't help that I used to sing you "The Air Force Song" as a lullaby -- it's deeply imbedded in your subconscious.

Therefore.... Off we go, into the wild blue yonder.... Go Air Force, beat the cougars!

Mom

P.S. Air Force is already bowl eligible, and will certainly be going somewhere....

Bethany said...

See, this is why I don't watch sports. :0)
How is your school year going?

Jules said...

Like my mom said on Saturday: "What will people think of our car, with Nebraska plates, framed by a BYU Alumni plate holder, and a DoD sticker on the windshield?"

I respect your choice, but...totally rooting for BYU on this one! :-)

Unknown said...

This makes your father proud!!!!!

Jennifer said...

Mom & Dad -- Glad to know that I "can't help" it, with it being lodged in my subconscious and all.

Bethany--the school year is going much much better than last year. Thanks for asking!

Jules -- and that's what makes sports fun..there's always SOMEbody rooting for the other team.