Saturday, May 31, 2008

D'enouement

Well, I did it. I got through my first year of teaching. It was pretty anti-climatic after all the counting down, etc. The last day of school was good. We read the "Phantom Tollbooth" to our students, so we showed that movie and did a little comparing/contrasting to the book and that was that.

The most exciting thing that happened was that all of the math supplies were moved out of the room they were in to mine. Except I didn't really have any place to put them. So they just got dumped all over my floor. So I spent the last contract day sorting and putting them away. I had help from lots of my friends at school so it really went pretty quickly. We found newspapers from the mid-nineties and an art curriculum book from 1959. Pretty much don't need those anymore. But I got it done and it actually motivated me to go through some of our stuff here at home. Not that I've done that yet, but I will this weekend and next week. Maybe.

Summer school starts on Monday. I'm actually pretty excited. I think that it will be good for me to be on my own for a few weeks before I'm on my own for a year. I say "on my own" because my co-teacher and true mentor will not be there for me to lean on next year. It makes me a little nervous. She was sooo fantastic and always had great ideas. I've written them all down, so hopefully I'll still remember them in the fall.

The day after school ended, we went to Utah to meet our friends Lonnie and Michelle and their kiddos and go camping and riding. Michelle and I stayed behind and went to dinner and the movies. That's my kind of camping! All was well until the last five minutes of the last day of riding at which point Scott had a bad wreck and sprained his ankle severely. The ER doc thought it was broken, but the orthopedic doc said not so much. So until he has his CT scan next week, we don't really know what's wrong with it. All I know is it's the pits that he can't walk and drive a clutch! :) But I will take that over the alternative...we are feeling very blessed that despite the severity of the wreck he is alive and relatively well.

1 comment:

Bethany said...

I thought you had left blogging forever... but then you commented on my blog so I now you're still there! Hope your summer "break" is going well so far. :0)