Saturday, March 8, 2008

My Daughter, the Genius

Kristin had her first MESA competition today. MESA is a school club (it stands for Math, Engineering, and Science Achievement) that targets women and other minority students to encourage them to study those areas in school. She had to apply to get in and has enjoyed her time at the club. The competition she competed in today was called "Say it, Do it". She and her teammate stood on opposite sides of a divider and she had to describe a structure made of Tinkertoys to her teammate. The teammate then needs to build the structure as accurately as possible based on Kristin's instructions. They have 8 minutes to complete their structure. WELL, Kristin and her friend did it in 3:04 AND did it with ONE HUNDRED PERCENT accuracy. This, my friends, is a record for the middle school level. Needless to say, they came in first place and won a $25 gift certificate to Wal-Mart each.

I guess she takes after her father.....

4 comments:

Bethany said...

That is great! Congrats to her. When she is a super-genius engineer I can say I knew her back when she won her first MESA competition.

Anonymous said...

I'm so proud of her! I'm glad that Kristin got her MOTHER's intelligence (because obviously the intelligence must be coming from the Koch side...)

Jules said...

And like her mom, right? Don't you teach math? :-)

Jennifer said...

Robyn and Jules--while I appreciate your support, I meant only that Scott is super good at everything he does and WINS stuff. I'm pretty good at what I do and somewhat smart but I hardly ever WIN anything!!! :) But I can see where that wasn't clear now...