Wednesday, March 5, 2008

Test Anxiety!?

A few bits of background information....the standardized state testing for CO is coming up next week. It is very stressful for students and teachers as it has very stringent rules and regulations surrounding the proctoring and taking of the test. Plus, as a teacher, your job can depend on your student's ability to perform well. Also, my dad teaches for a district which scores famously high on this test while I teach for a district which scores notoriously low.

So all that said, I had this dream last night.....

I was just starting to proctor the first session of the test to about 20 of my students. In walks my father, all his administrators (in my dream there were about 10 of them), and 20 of his students. He proceeds to intersperse his students with mine and tell me that I have to test his students also. At which point his students become completely rowdy....talking, laughing, throwing paper, etc. (which, of course, would completely invalidate the tests) So I start freaking out and trying to shush them and ask them to stop so that my students, who are still trying diligently to work on the test, can concentrate. But the more I talk, the louder they become. Then one of my assistant principals walks into the room and has a hushed discussion with my father. She looks over at me with digust and says, "I don't know why you can't be more like your father." At which point, she and all the other adminstrators and my father leave and I'm left there with this classroom of rowdy kids thinking "but it's HIS students that are acting up!"


So that's it. I'm obviously having anxiety about this test. I never thought that could happen to the test GIVER!! My mother said it best...her response when I told her about my dream was "I think you've got issues". Which we all know is a spot on analysis.

2 comments:

Bethany said...

Okay, relax, you are starting to stress me out!

Anonymous said...

What a crazy dream! I think that it obviously means you're much better at controlling your kids than dad is :-) Don't stress too much! I'm sure everything will be fine!